Memorial Day Weekend trip, May 26-29, 2000

These pictures were taken with my Sony Mavica FD-7 digital camera on a Memorial Day weekend trip from May 26 through 29, 2000. All images are 24-bit JPEGs and should be viewed on a 24-bit display. Quality is likely to be very poor when viewed on an 8-bit display. There are 120 pictures, so they're broken up into categories.

Friday, May 26, 2000

The first part of the trip was a ride from Troy to Yonkers with Rick Kline. This was an uneventful trip down the Taconic State Parkway. We arrived in Yonkers at Maria Viggiani's house and from there headed down to the Bronx [3 Pictures] for the Red Sox - Yankees game [19 Pictures]. After the game, it took us a couple of hours (really) to get out of the parking garage and onto the highway. I've never seen it so bad. We got back to Yonkers a little after 11:30, and I was on my way out toward my final stop in Delaware before midnight. After some trouble finding my way to the Saw Mill River Parkway and getting an unwanted tour of downtown Yonkers, I was finally on my way. Arrival at Neil Grodsky's in Delaware was not until about 3 AM.

Saturday, May 27, 2000

Neil and I took a ride from his apartment in Delaware to Washington, DC, on Saturday. On the way down we went through Baltimore [3 Pictures], then hit some pretty hard rain as we approached the Beltway [Picture]. It was still raining when we arrive at the Forest Glen Metro station [Picture]. We took the DC Metro into the city, first arriving at the new Reagan Building [Picture]. We then walked to the National Mall between the Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol [5 Pictures]. We next walked to the White House [4 Pictures] and by the Treasury [2 Pictures]. From there, we walked back toward a Metro station to get some food and got another nice view of the Capitol [Picture].

We took the Metro to Chevy Chase, Maryland to get dinner at the Cheesecake Factory restuarant there. There was a bit of a wait, even at 3 or 3:30 PM, but not horrible. After a good dinner, we took the train back into the city to visit more of the monuments.

We arrived back in the National Mall, and first walked closer to the Washington Monument than before [Picture]. We then walked along the Mall toward the Lincoln Memorial, along the Reflecting Pool [6 Pictures]. We walked right up into the Lincoln Memorial for a while [7 Pictures]. Next up was the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, which was especially crowded on this rainy Memorial Day weekend [2 Pictures]. Across the reflecting pool is the recently-constructed Korean War Memorial [4 Pictures]. Next up is a long walk around the Tidal Basin [Picture] to the Jefferson Memorial [5 Pictures]. From there, we headed back to the Metro station near the Smithsonian, and went back to Delaware for the night. We hit Baltimore while the Orioles game was in progress, so we took advantage of the light traffic to take a quick driving tour of the Inner Harbor.

Sunday, May 28, 2000

On Sunday morning, we started with a breakfast out at a Bob Evans in Bear. From there, Neil drove us up to Philadelphia [5 Pictures]. We parked in the Old City area, just a few blocks from the Independence National Historical Park visitors center. On the way, we passed one old bank building [Picture]. In the visitors center, we saw the Independence movie and saw an internet postcard machine [Picture for Charles]. After seeing the visitors center, we walked around Philadelphia. We passed the First Bank of the United States [2 Pictures], visited the Carpenters Hall [Picture], saw Independence Hall [2 Pictures] and visited the original locations of the US House of Representatives [2 Pictures] and the US Senate [2 Pictures]. We then walked across in front of Independence Hall [3 Pictures], then into the Old City Hall [2 Pictures]. Next up was a walk up Independence Mall toward the Liberty Bell pavilion [3 Pictures], and a visit to the Liberty Bell [4 Pictures]. We stopped at a small park near Independence Hall which includes a statue of "The Signer" [Picture] honoring those who signed the Declaration of Independence. We walked up to the US Mint [Picture], which was closed unfortunately, and Ben Franklin's grave [3 Pictures]. We headed back to the car and drove around a bit more [2 Pictures] before heading back to Delaware [Picture].

We stopped by the University of Delaware and looked around Newark some, and then went to dinner back near Neil's apartment complex. Sunday night baseball on ESPN was the Roger Clemens/Pedro Martinez dual.

Monday, May 29, 2000

On Monday morning, it was time to head back north to get Rick and return to Troy. I headed out around 10 AM. There was plenty of time, so the route from Delaware to Yonkers went through 4 of 5 NYC Boroughs. My route went up the NJ Turnpike to Rte 440 through Perth Amboy and across the Outerbridge Crossing. While on Staten Island, I made a stop at one of the beaches [Picture], which was deserted even on Memorial Day with the cool and cloudy weather. After crossing the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, my route was up along I-278. Along the way, there were views of the Statue of Liberty [Picture], lower Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge [Picture]. From there, I took Northern Boulevard across Queens to the Whitestone Expressway, across the Whitestone Bridge, and up the Hutch to the Cross County to Maria's.

After a wonderful lunch at Maria's, we met Maria's friend Annette and all went to the Pepsico headquarters in Purchase to walk around among the sculptures and gardens [15 Pictures]. From there, Rick and I headed back north. We made a Burger King stop in Mt. Kisco and then took the Taconic back to the Capital District.

E-mail domain:, username: terescoj+pics Sun Jun 4 19:02:16 EDT 2000

Copyright notice: All images are copyright © James D. Teresco unless otherwise specified. Unauthorized use is prohibited.